Wednesday 31 December 2008

Welcome 2009!

The last minutes of 2008... are there reasons to celebrate? Should I give myself a pat on the back for my good behaviour? Or lament on the things that I should have done but did not do?

At this time, the forest is calm and the sound of the crickets and insects are as soothing as ever. It is a peaceful night, so peaceful that I could easily forget the bustling crowd and celebrations going on in every part of the world. It feels just like any other day, so why are we all celebrating?

What is the significance of a new year?

A time to reflect on the year that just passed perhaps, if we have not done so previously. All the new year resolutions that we made, have we make good those promises?

As I looked back, I think I have lived an exciting year. No major breakthrough, but many fun and fulfilling months, doing things that I love. Travelled to Europe 2 times and many other cities in Asia; read 2 great books (so great that they have somewhat changed my life); moved house; made someone else's dream come true.

The world, on the other hand, is in a state of turmoil. We don't need lengthy discussions here of the major world events which occured in 2008. By tomorrow, these will be covered in every newspaper. The fact that I can sit here at ease, despite all that have happened in the world lately, and watch the stars sparkle so bright in the sky, is indeed a blessing. When I think of many of those who are living in misery and dire conditions, I wonder what I have done to deserve such happiness. Nevertheless, I am grateful for all that I have and do not have. 每一天都感恩!

Just like in the past, tonight is the time to renew my new year wishes. They have not changed, but have reduced from 3 to 2. I wish for health for all my family and friends and for a more peaceful world.

Tomorrow will be a better day. 2009 will be a better year.

May I propose a toast, with my red Bordeaux. Happy New Year to all!

No comments: