Wednesday 12 March 2008

"The Kiss" by Gustav Klimt



A painting in the Belvedere Gallery by Gustav Klimt, a celebrated Austrian painter. In fact, it is like the "镇馆之宝", the centre piece in the gallery. I loved it so much that I bought a poster of it back home. The original piece is painted with gold and silver. Of course, I can't afford anything like that, though my poster is decorated with some Austrian crystals. Really beautiful, show you next time.

Let me try to intepret this painting for you.

Notice the rectangles on the man and the circles on the woman? They signify the distinctions between male and female and that people are always attracted to the opposites. Upon a kiss however, the differences dissolved and the two form an union and emerge as one in a world of their own. There is no indication of time and place as suggested by the plain brass and gold background; and that represents the timelessness that one feels in a kiss... as if one is stranded in a galaxy, where time stands still.

I am sorry if I did no credit to the painting with my intepretations. But it is meant to have a beautiful meaning, like how the painting is in reality. And I didn't come up with the intepretation on my own, I heard it during the museum tour lah!

So I am a sucker for all these romantism and airy fairy ideas. But I simply love this painting.

P.S. I also love the "Adam and Eve" painting from Klimt. Ha, it's a bit obscene, but you can google to find it.

No comments: