Saturday 12 September 2009

Mon cœur s'ouvre à ta voix

Song from the opera, Samson and Delilah, known in English as "Softly awakes my heart".

Literally translated as "My heart opens itself to your voice". If only I can hear your voice once again...



Original French

Mon cœur s'ouvre à ta voix,
comme s'ouvrent les fleurs
Aux baiser de l'aurore!
Mais, ô mon bienaimé,
pour mieux sécher mes pleurs
Que ta voix parle encore!
Dis-moi qu'à Dalila
tu reviens pour jamais,
Redis à ma tendresse
Les serments d'autrefois,
ces serments que j'aimais!
Ah! réponds à ma tendresse!
Verse-moi,verse-moi l'ivresse!

Ainsi qu'on voit des blés
les épis onduler
Sous la brise légère,
Ainsi frémit mon coeur,
prêt à se consoler,
A ta voix qui m'est chère!
La flèche est moins rapide
à porter le trépas,
Que ne l'est ton amante
à voler dans tes bras!
Ah! réponds à ma tendresse!
Verse-moi,verse-moi l'ivresse!



English Translation

My heart opens itself to your voice
like the flowers open
To the kisses of the dawn!
But, o my beloved,
To dry my tears the best,
Let your voice speak again!
Tell me that to Dalila
You will return forever,
Repeat to my tenderness
The oaths of other times,
the oaths that I loved!
Ah! respond to my tenderness!
Pour out to me the drunkenness!

Like one sees the wheat
the blades undulate
Under the light breeze,
So trembles my heart,
ready to be consoled,
by your voice which is dear to me!
The arrow is less quick
to carry death,
Than is your love
to fly into thy arms!
Ah! respond to my tenderness!
Pour out to me the drunkenness!



No comments: