Thursday 31 January 2008

The Kingdom... If you can also Imagine

I watched a movie "The Kingdom" on my flight back from Manila yesterday evening. A story inspired by a true event, the bombing incident in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, which took place in 2003 and said to be responsible by Al Qaeda.

Set in Riyadh, the movie started with suicide bombing by Muslim terrorists which led to some Americans, including 2 FBI agents being killed. In Washington, the other FBI agents were outraged and deeply sadden by the lost of their colleauges. One female agent even broke down in tears and another whispered something to her which calmed her emotions. Shortly after which, they left for Riyadh with a goal to track down the one responsible for this killing.

I shall skip the details and go straight to the ending. After much shooting and bloodshed, the FBI agents finally came in face to face with the terrorist leader. And in a frenzy of confusion, the terrorist leader was shot dead by the FBI agents. Just before he died, the terrorist leader whispered into the ears of his young grandson.

You are probably curious what were the messages spoken in whispers. As the FBI agent, now returned to Washington, recalled what he said, "We will kill them all", he showed neither joy nor satisfaction from his sweet revenge. Instead, his expression was full of daunt and sorrow.

And back in Ridyadh, a young boy was telling his mother the dying words of his grandfather... "Don't fear my child. We are going to kill them all." His eyes were filled with determinations.

I began to think... how could there be so much animosities and misgivings between people such that they would want to kill all of each other? In this case, it was merely religion and nationality which separated the 2 parties. Nationality, something derived from our geographical location; Religion, an expression of the human faith and yearning to do good... have I misunderstood, for how could these be so venomous?

People always say that all humans are borned pure and innocent. But I think some just inherited hatred and vengeance the minute they breathe in their first breath in this stinking world. Is it circumstances or do you call it fate? What does a 10 year old boy in Somalia, armed with rifle, knows about war when he doesn't even know much about life or seen any of the world? And why can't some Taiwanese and mainland Chinese get along, when the civil war ended probably before they were even borned?

I don't know why people would do crazy things sometimes for no reason at all; I don't know how many generations will precede before vengeance can be forgotten; And I don't know how long it will take for all the mistakes in histories to be fully erased. But I know that if we do not stop hating each other, the day may never come when the human race can all live in peace. When hatred turns into vengeance, vengeance turns into blood, blood turns into pain, pain turns into anger, anger turns into revenge, it just goes on and on... until the day I die, until I turn into fossils or even longer.

I suddenly remembered a song which I was extremely touched by when I first heard it. Sharing with you my favourite version on You Tube.

We are all unique, but then again not so different. There is really no need for us to over-emphasize our differences. If there are no boundaries, we probably can then all live as one. If we can all imagine a world like this, I am sure it will come true, some day.


Imagine I was in the audience? No, better don't image that. You'll have to tie me to the chair to prevent me from doing crazy things (like dashing forward to grab his feet hahaha...ORZ!)

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

No comments: