Thursday 4 October 2007

The story behind 神的孩子都在跳舞

It's been 3 months since I started this blog, and I realised I have not give a proper introduction of why I chose a name like this for my blog.

神的孩子都在跳舞 (Children of God are dancing), my blog title. The first thought that must have crossed your mind is that this is the name of an album from my favourite band and as an ardent fan, I have named my blog as such. Well, yes and no.

神的孩子都在跳舞 is originally a book written by Japanese author, Haruki Murakami (村上春树). I read the Mandarin translated version. The book has got very little to do with what the name suggests, if you already start to picture everyone dancing to a tune by reading the title (and of course it has nothing to do with dancing to the tune of my favourite band). In fact, the author wrote this book after the Kobe earthquake in Japan in 1995 to portrait the lives of some Japanese after the earthquake, in a rather poetic and literate manner.

In this book, the author talks about "Rhythm of the Earth" (地球的律动). He wrote of this rhythm as the "movement beneath the feet". Though it may seem that he is only literally describing the conditions of an earthquake, I do believe that there are more profound messages hidden in the book. But then, it is left entirely up to you to interpret, which is what this author is really good at, stirring up the emotions and thoughts in your mind and yet not giving clear answers to what they meant.

From how I see it, the movement of the earth, the ebbs and tides of the sea, the warm summer breeze that blows in the air.... these works of nature create the ryhthm of the earth. And it is precisely through these that we are all connected.

Have you ever wondered how do people meet? Some may say it is fate, but I think it is through this rhythm of the earth. Imagine, people of different race, different colours and speaking different languages... we smile like an innocent child when we see a rainbow, we gasp at the first sight of a beautiful sunrise, we cry at the same sad movie... how could we have shared so many things in common if not for this rhythm which exist in our earth?

Therefore, be it the songs of 五月天 or the book by Murakami, 神的孩子都在跳舞 have inspired me in different ways. And I hope that this blog will always contain something we all love, something we can all identify with and something that will move you and I, as if we are all dancing to the rhythm of the earth. That is the reason for the name.




After thoughts: I often think that I can become way too emotional at times. My emotions are like marshmallow, easily crushed and easily exploded. But if you really open your eyes, you will become sensitive towards little things that happen around you. You will feel as much sadness as you will feel joy. And that is precisely why my life is so difficult yet fascinating at all times.

No comments: