Saturday 29 December 2007

突然很想回家 Suddenly miss home (Shanghai Day 4)

I've been betrayed by the weather forecast! Before I left for Shanghai, I checked on the internet the weather forecast for the following week. The average temperature was not lower than 5dc and I have packed exactly enough clothes for that weather.

However, on the 2nd day after I arrived in Shanghai, I was told that the temperature over the weekend will drop to zero and even negative on New Year's day! And sure, I felt it today. As I was leaving office at 8pm tonight, I felt the cold wind rushed towards me (cold current from Siberia as I was told). It was about 3dc although it felt colder than that. Suddenly, I missed the sunshine and the heat back home. I promised myself that one of the first things I will do when I return home is to bathe myself in the sun and enjoy the warm, damp air.

When will it be a better time to have a hotpot than a cold day like this?



My colleagues and I had dinner at this hotpot place (shop's name is 豆捞, which is literal translation from the English word "Dollar"). We ordered a plate of assorted meat and I said okay even though I probably won't eat much. They were meant for my colleagues to "nourish" themselves (补一补)after eating only veggie, tofu and fish with me in the last couple of days.



I love having steamboat, particularly with friends; crowding around a hot steaming pot and discussing about practically anything under the sun while we wait patiently for our food to cook. As I was leaving the restaurant, I saw a group of Shanghainese, about a party of 10, having a great time. Suddenly, I miss the laughters, miss the chit chat, miss the company of my friends back at home.

I hardly feel home sick when I travel. Most of the time, I would wish that my friends were there to share with me the beautiful scenery and other spectacular sights. This time however, I'd rather be at home than to form new memories of beautiful Huang Pu Jiang with myself in it, all alone.

Suddenly, I miss home....

No comments: