Monday 30 June 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!



I have just finished the book about "John", written by his ex-wife Cynthia Lennon, and staring at the cover in daze, reminiscing the life of the man who I both adore and despise, when my phone went off.

It was a sms with birthday greetings for me from Jo in HK at an unlikely hour of 1.30am. This one followed shortly after KY's text just minutes past midnight. I must say that I am delighted and surprised that the birthday greetings this year came so promptly... hehe clearly someone out there misses me.

I used to love birthdays as a kid because of the presents that I would receive, and in my younger days, I thought it was a great excuse for friends to get together and simply have fun. When I started to have only 1 candle on my birthday cake (say it's self deceiving, but the sight of so many candles is unbearable), I dreaded birthdays, honestly I do. It makes me feel old, no matter how much compliments I received about me looking younger than my age. I guess I have never really came to term with the fact that I have passed the "twenty something"!

It is interesting that I should be reading the life story about John on this day, learning how much he has gained and lost in his journey towards becoming one of the greatest man in the world; how much love he has shown the world while at the same time hurt those who loved him most. It makes me realised that it is often too easy to take for granted the things and people around us, and all the little acts of kindness done to us, which if you really look back and reflect on, you know are indispensible in making your life fulfilling. Sometimes, regrets come too late, and other times, it is difficult to make up for all that have been lost.

If there is anything more than bewilderment and a deep sense of loss for the great man who has died way before his time after reading the book, it is a reminder to me that while pursuing bigger things in life, do not forget to love those who have always stood by my side.

With all the warm wishes, luncheon and birthday bash lining up, it is hard to not be high spirited. And to my friends, I will tell you this: it doesn't take 74 million audiences or 6 million copies of best selling album to make me feel special. I already do as you remember me on this special day.

I rejoice at another fulfilling year that has passed, this is the new meaning of birthdays to me.



I am still feeling sorry that my candle went out before I could make my wish. Anyway, it is for world peace and good health of my family and friends, and a third wish, shall remain a secret. Haven't you heard before? You should never reveal your third wish or it'll not come true.

Here's a song for you, friends.

In my life

There are places i'll remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends i still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life i've loved them all

But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When i think of love as something new
Though i know i'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know i'll often stop and think about them
In my life i love you more

Though i know i'll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know i'll often stop and think about them
In my life i love you more
In my life i love you more



No comments: